THE GREEK THEATER, BILL ENGVALL, AND SURPRISE SHOWER GUESTS...
Greetings from Los Angeles......
We have been In L.A. for several days now and will soon take off for San Diego . Saturday and Sunday we played the Greek theater with the Stevie Nicks Combo . Man it almost burned down in that big fire they had a few weeks ago . We have played the Greek before . We once played there with Shelby Lynn . And when she sat in with us she kept making a circular motion with her hand which I took to mean wrap it up but which she meant keep going . I finally had to Euthanise that song . It was an ugly death too. I also saw the Black Crowes at the Greek when they were at the hight of there powers . They blew me completly away . They did a cover of "Dreams " by the Allman Brothers and I thought, what a manly choice of covers . That song is kind of a waltz and they nailed it . Tough very tough.
The shows at the Greek went well . I had a little surprise though. Let me fill you in . In a lot of venues you have the Main dressing room were we have our clothes and stuff . And a lot of times there are spare rooms across the hall . The nice thing is they usually have extra showers. Which I often use. Now experience teaches that if you leave the main dressing room you probably should have most of your clothes still on . You never know who maybe roaming the halls . So I am a sweaty mess after the show and I remember to keep my pants on till I get to the shower. I barge into the extra dressing room ,not the main dressing room, I am wearing most of my stage clothes and I have my street clothes in my arms and as I barge in ....WHOA....there is Tom Petty and his family sitting around the dressing room . I have never met him but I am glad I remembered the pants rule ! Anywho I went ahead and showered and came back out and introduced my self and they were very gracious and greatful, remember the pants.....He said that he enjoyed the concert and liked our TV show . It is amazing how many musicians liked watching our old show. I mean, we based a lot of it on things that actually happened to us . We cleaned it up of course. Like when we did that George Lucas party last year to dedicate the Lucas Films Presidio campus. George asked Boz Scaggs to put a band together and they put this super group of all L. A. session mutts together and Tom Scott,, the world famous Sax player comes up to me and is gushing about how he and his wife loved the show . And I am like holy sh*t your the Tom Scott. He later played one of the best tenor sax solos I have ever heard. Dont you just hate people that talented ?
On monday we had a fun thing happen. You all know Bill Engvall right ? He is one of the comedians from "The Bluecollar comedy tour" Anywho ...He came to see us last year in Salt Lake and we kept in touch and he asked Chris to be on his new TV show which hasnt started to air yet . Chris was nice enough to weasel me a speaking part too. So we go over to CBS studios .You know the one by Du-par's ....And we spent most of the day hanging around our dressing room which was 1608 Mary Tyler Moore way at the cross section of Bob Newhart Blvd on the studio lot ! We went in and shot our scene and it was so much fun it made me realize how much I missed doing a TV show. Bill's wife was played by Nancy Travis . I remember her from the movie " So I married an ax murderer" with Mike Myers...that is a actually an under rated movie . In it Myers buys a haggis every day for his scottish father .If you are not familiar. Haggis is a Scottish delicacy which is Oatmeal in a sheeps intestine ,basically. It actually isnt bad . Anyway Myers has this great line where he says " I think that all Scottish cuisine is based on a dare" !!!!......Anywho Nancy was very nice . Between takes Bill kept coming over to me and telling me jokes . They were funny but not as dirty as mine . I buried him with the stripper joke . Remind me to tell you that one. So Bill keeps telling me these jokes and the guys are yelling " First positions" and " Cameras are up" which basically means straiten up and get ready . And I am trying to listen to his jokes and thinking, well , his name is on the front door so I guess I wont get in trouble .....It was a wail of a good time . So keep an eye out for the "Bill Engvall show"
I am off to San D
YOUR PAL
KENNEY DALE
We have been In L.A. for several days now and will soon take off for San Diego . Saturday and Sunday we played the Greek theater with the Stevie Nicks Combo . Man it almost burned down in that big fire they had a few weeks ago . We have played the Greek before . We once played there with Shelby Lynn . And when she sat in with us she kept making a circular motion with her hand which I took to mean wrap it up but which she meant keep going . I finally had to Euthanise that song . It was an ugly death too. I also saw the Black Crowes at the Greek when they were at the hight of there powers . They blew me completly away . They did a cover of "Dreams " by the Allman Brothers and I thought, what a manly choice of covers . That song is kind of a waltz and they nailed it . Tough very tough.
The shows at the Greek went well . I had a little surprise though. Let me fill you in . In a lot of venues you have the Main dressing room were we have our clothes and stuff . And a lot of times there are spare rooms across the hall . The nice thing is they usually have extra showers. Which I often use. Now experience teaches that if you leave the main dressing room you probably should have most of your clothes still on . You never know who maybe roaming the halls . So I am a sweaty mess after the show and I remember to keep my pants on till I get to the shower. I barge into the extra dressing room ,not the main dressing room, I am wearing most of my stage clothes and I have my street clothes in my arms and as I barge in ....WHOA....there is Tom Petty and his family sitting around the dressing room . I have never met him but I am glad I remembered the pants rule ! Anywho I went ahead and showered and came back out and introduced my self and they were very gracious and greatful, remember the pants.....He said that he enjoyed the concert and liked our TV show . It is amazing how many musicians liked watching our old show. I mean, we based a lot of it on things that actually happened to us . We cleaned it up of course. Like when we did that George Lucas party last year to dedicate the Lucas Films Presidio campus. George asked Boz Scaggs to put a band together and they put this super group of all L. A. session mutts together and Tom Scott,, the world famous Sax player comes up to me and is gushing about how he and his wife loved the show . And I am like holy sh*t your the Tom Scott. He later played one of the best tenor sax solos I have ever heard. Dont you just hate people that talented ?
On monday we had a fun thing happen. You all know Bill Engvall right ? He is one of the comedians from "The Bluecollar comedy tour" Anywho ...He came to see us last year in Salt Lake and we kept in touch and he asked Chris to be on his new TV show which hasnt started to air yet . Chris was nice enough to weasel me a speaking part too. So we go over to CBS studios .You know the one by Du-par's ....And we spent most of the day hanging around our dressing room which was 1608 Mary Tyler Moore way at the cross section of Bob Newhart Blvd on the studio lot ! We went in and shot our scene and it was so much fun it made me realize how much I missed doing a TV show. Bill's wife was played by Nancy Travis . I remember her from the movie " So I married an ax murderer" with Mike Myers...that is a actually an under rated movie . In it Myers buys a haggis every day for his scottish father .If you are not familiar. Haggis is a Scottish delicacy which is Oatmeal in a sheeps intestine ,basically. It actually isnt bad . Anyway Myers has this great line where he says " I think that all Scottish cuisine is based on a dare" !!!!......Anywho Nancy was very nice . Between takes Bill kept coming over to me and telling me jokes . They were funny but not as dirty as mine . I buried him with the stripper joke . Remind me to tell you that one. So Bill keeps telling me these jokes and the guys are yelling " First positions" and " Cameras are up" which basically means straiten up and get ready . And I am trying to listen to his jokes and thinking, well , his name is on the front door so I guess I wont get in trouble .....It was a wail of a good time . So keep an eye out for the "Bill Engvall show"
I am off to San D
YOUR PAL
KENNEY DALE
<< Home